In 1886, Motuopae Island in Waikareao Estuary was gazetted as a native reserve for the use of Ngāi Tamarāwaho. Since 1912 it has been used as the hapū urupā, a sacred burial ground.
Tākitimu Drive, 3110
Waikareao estuary is of great significance to Ngāi Tamarāwaho of Huria Marae in Judea Tauranga.
Just off Huria Marae is Motuopae Island, once the home of ancestor Kinotaraia and his descendant Tuarutapu. It is an urupā (burial ground) and was once referred to as Peach Island by Pākehā due to all the peach trees growing wild there. The urupā is still in use by the hapū to this day.