Est. 2009. Facing Mauao and the harbour entrance this bronze propeller is a memorial to naval and merchant seamen who died during World War II. Originally the Empire Jane, the tug towed Mulberry Harbour off the coast of France after the 1944 D-Day landings. She helped rescue survivors of the Wahine Shipwreck in 1968 and in 1978 was sold for $2 and towed to Tauranga.
Map No. 15.
Te Pari Taha | Sulphur Point (nr. Yacht Club),
More on this story with images coming soon.
Meanwhile from Sept. 2009,
read this Bay of Plenty Times article
on the propeller's final resting place looking out past Mauao from the tip of Te Pari Taha | Suplhur Point, Tauranga.