Est. 1835. Historic Places Category 1 & 2. The Te Papa Mission Station in Mission Street, Tauranga was first settled in 1835. In 1840 the Tauranga sheet of the Treaty of Waitangi was signed. The Mission House as seen today, was completed in 1847. It was built from Kauri shipped from Whitianga. It cost £300. On 28 April 1864, on the eve of The Battle of Gate Pa | Pukehinahina, which took place on 29 April, English officers dined with Rev. Brown in the dining room which is still as it was in 1864. Some of these officers were killed in the battle and are buried in the Mission Cemetery #17.
Guided tours are available daily without pre-booking (admission ranges from $7.50 to $15).
For group visits please pre-book by phoning (07) 577 9772.
Map No. 19.
15 Mission Street,
The 1850s saw a marked change for the missions. European settlers were arriving in New Zealand, hungry for land. The Maori were becoming more sceptical about the role of the missionaries. Another tragedy struck the small Brown family: Charlotte died of a respiratory complaint in 1855. She was buried in Auckland where she had gone for medical help. Celia, then in her late teens, was much sought after by suitors. Brown resisted, but in 1859 gave his consent to Celia's marriage to the Rev. John Kinder, principal of St John's College, Auckland
Archdeacon Brown and his second wife, Christina 1860-1887
In February 1860 the 56 year old Brown remarried. His second wife was Christina Johnston, originally from Aberdeen, who was living with her brother in Wellington. Although the work of the mission was still continuing, everything was about to change. In 1863 war came to the Waikato, and soon involved Tauranga Maori. In 1864, imperial troops arrived, camping on CMS land, and taking over the recently completed mission institute building, intended as an agricultural college, as their commissariat.
Brown was torn between loyalty to the Maori people to whom he had dedicated his life and his natural bonds with his fellow countrymen. Maori left their sea shore settlements and began strengthening and building pa in the hinterland. The Durham and Monmouth regiments arrived and constructed redoubts in and around Te Papa.
A gate in the southern boundary fence of the mission land allowed travellers access to a traditional Maori track down the Te Papa peninsula. A pa was built near this gate, and the ensuing battle which took place on 21 April 1864, has become known as the battle of Gate Pa. The story is told below. For Brown the consequences were tragic. He was called on to bury not only his well loved Maori converts, but also his new English friends, including all but one of the officers who had dined with him at the mission house on the eve of the battle.
The battle of Te Ranga in May reversed the situation, with the British troops victorious. For Brown, however, and for the Tauranga Maori, life had changed for ever. Soldier settlers were given land previously occupied by Maori. The mission land was surrounded by land confiscated by the government. Maori were forced to abandon ancestral land, and inevitably the work of the mission declined.
In 1873 Brown and Christina purchased the mission house and 6.8 hectares of land surrounding it from the CMS. They renamed their private home The Elms, after the trees growing on the property. The CMS was gradually removing its support of the New Zealand mission. Although Brown continued to preach to those of his converts who remained, he also undertook parochial duties for the Europeans living in the township of Tauranga until an Anglican vicar was appointed in 1873.
Brown died in 1884 at the age of 81, and was buried in the mission cemetery. Christina survived him by only three years. Perhaps surprisingly the property was left not to Celia, but to Christina's family.
Alice Maxwell 1887-1949
After the death in Australia in 1865 of her husband, a Presbyterian minister, Christina's sister, Euphemia Maxwell, brought her young family of two boys and two girls to her brother in Wellington. One of the daughters, Alice, often spent holidays at The Elms, which she grew to love. Christina left the property to Alice as life tenant on condition that her mother and sister Edith moved to The Elms with her. Although the strong-minded Euphemia was reluctant to leave the comparative civilisation of the capital, the three women took up residence in Tauranga in 1887, bringing with them the grand piano which now graces the music room.
Survival was not easy for the three women, and money was always tight. Nevertheless their responsibility for the preservation of the mission station was never forgotten. In 1913, land was subdivided and sold for housing in order to effect necessary repairs to the property, leaving just one hectare around the remaining buildings of the mission house, library, coach house, kitchen block and outbuildings.
After Euphemia's death in 1919, Alice began to open the house and its gardens to interested visitors. The nature of the garden changed, with New Zealand trees and shrubs alongside Brown's original English plantings.
When Alice died in 1949 she had spent 62 years caring for The Elms and sharing her knowledge of the history of the mission station which she had learned from Archdeacon Brown himself.
Neither Alice nor Edith married. After discussion with her nephews, Grant and Duff Maxwell, Alice decided that she would leave the property to Duff as life tenant. So, in 1949, Duff and Gertrude moved up from Taranaki to take over guardianship of The Elms. The property which they inherited needed a great deal of work. Money was always scarce, and considerable sacrifices had to be made in order to provide what Duff considered to be appropriate care of the mission station. Duff left The Elms in 1992 and died in September 1997.
In 1962 The Elms Historic Family Home Preservation Trust Inc. was established to provide Duff with support and help in the maintenance of the property. One of the first tasks undertaken in 1964 was the building of a replica chapel to replace the original which had fallen into disrepair in the 1880s.
Under Duff's custodianship, several notable gifts were made to The Elms: a slab and shingle whare built in the King country in 1919 was donated by J.D. and M.Menzies in the late 1960s; a Fencible cottage was donated in 1972 and is now used as an office and meeting room for The Elms Trust committee and tour guides.
Major repair work was carried out on the mission house in 1976 under the supervision of the Ministry of Works. More recently restoration work has been done on the Library, funded by a generous donation from a community trust.
The mission station has passed into public ownership with the establishment of The Elms Foundation in 1998. Funding for the purchase has come from charitable organisations and businesses in Tauranga and the western Bay of Plenty as well as from the Lotteries Board Heritage Fund. Trustees and a Board of Directors are now responsible for the management of the property.
The mission house and library carry a New Zealand Historic Places Trust Class 1 registration, the other buildings are Class 2, and the whole site is designated a Historic Area.
Further information is available through the Tauranga City Libraries' New Zealand Room.